Friday, April 9, 2010

Skirmish near Newport.

Two Reports

No. 1.—Lieut. Col. James Wilson, Ninth New Jersey Infantry.
No. 2.—Capt. John Soothe," C. S. Army.


No. 1.

Report of Lieut. Col. James Wilson, Ninth New Jersey Infantry.

Newport Barracks, N. C.,
April 7, 1862—2.30 p. m.

General,: I have to inform you that our outside pickets on the Cedar Point road were attacked this noon at about 1 o'clock by a force of about 40 cavalry mounted and about 20 on foot, who made a sudden dash upon our post.

In skirmishing we had 1 man shot, wounded, and are fearful 1 made prisoner. This information I have from courier sent in.

Our men stood the attack and returned the fire, killing one horse, but are unable to learn any other damage, as the enemy retreated at a rapid rate, but suppose they must have killed or wounded some.

I have sent forward another company to strengthen this post, who arrived there soon after the attack.

Awaiting your orders, I remain your most obedient servant,

JAMES WILSON,
 Lieutenant-Colonel, Comdg. Ninth Regiment New Jersey Vols.

Maj. Gen. J. G. Parke.

No. 2.


Jones County, N. C., April 8, 1862.

Sir : According to your instructions I make the following report of my progress since Saturday last:

I took my march toward Carteret County on Saturday, and reached Mr. Foscue's, on the Beaufort road, 20 miles below Trenton.

Sunday I was joined by Captain Hill and 50 of his men and proceeded toward Beaufort. At sunset I halted, and sent forward to ascertain the number and position of the enemy's advance reported to be ahead. At 1 o'clock in the night my scouts came in, not able to find anything, and I proceeded to Eli Saunders' and fed my horses and men.

Monday morning I was joined by Lieutenant Humphreys with about 30 men. By agreement with Captain Hill and Lieutenant Humphreys I divided the whole force into four platoons of about 30 men each, placing the men with the best arms in the first platoon. This platoon I placed under command of Lieutenant Eure and sent it forward as an advance down the road from Saunders' toward Newport. I followed with the other three platoons and their commanders a short distance behind the advance. After going within 5 miles of Newport the advance saw a squad of 5 of the enemy and charged them, capturing 3 and killing 2. About 200 yards in advance of the first squad there was another squad of 12, which being discovered. Lieutenant Euro rallied his platoon and charged them, killing 1 and capturing C. Most of the enemy fired their muskets without injuring a horse or man on our side.

In five minutes after the firing ceased two companies of the eueniy came in sight and fired upon us and fell into the marsh. _ By their fire the only damage done was the killing of my horse under me. I ordered the men to retire down the hill, as there was no chance to charge them from a miry causeway. With our 9 prisoners I retraced my steps to this place last night.

As the first platoon did the principal work, I deem it sheer justice to say that they behaved with great bravery.

I let Lieutenant Humphreys take charge of 3 prisoners, Captain Hill 3, and I send the remainder to you and through you to General Eansom.

I am very anxious that you should recall me forthwith, as my horses and men are completely exhausted and tired out.

I also send 7 muskets captured from the enemy and Captain Hill took two.

The number of the enemy at Newport and stationed at intervals from Newport to the place we encountered them is about 600 or 700 from the best information. At and about Morehead City one regiment.

All praise is due to Lieutenant Eure and Orderly Jordan, who led the charge of the advance guard. Your obedient servant,

JNO. BOOTHE,
Capt. Commanding.


Col. W. G. Bobinson.



P. S.—Since writing the above one of my pickets has come in from Haughton's, about 4 miles from Pollocksyille, toward Wilmington, saying the enemy had fired upon him and killed or taken the 2 pickets that were with him, and that there was 500 or 600 of the enemy.

Source: The War of the Rebellion: v. 1-53 [serial no. 1-111] Formal reports, both ...  by Calvin Duvall Cowles, Henry Martyn Lazelle, Leslie J. Perry, 1883 (A Google Book)

No comments:

Post a Comment